Monday, April 12, 2010

James Scholar Blog #11

After analyzing the techniques, target audiences, and selection of articles of five different fashion magazines, I want to give them awards for best profiles, fashion and how-to’s; most appealing to all ages, genders, and races; and most classic. I will call these “Lily’s Fashion Magazine Awards.”

Best profiles: Essence
This magazine offers profiles of numerous successful, influential people, not only in the celebrity world but “no names” as well. The Q and A’s have questions that give insight about the people featured in the stories. As a result, the reader can relate and feel more connected to the interviewee.

Best fashion: GQ
Although this magazine admits that they have advised many men to wear some silly outfits, their style recommendations are usually great looks. They feature many designers from across the globe and provide pictures of runway shows. Also, they consistently have pictures of suits for businessmen which will never go out of style.

Best how-to’s: Elle
This magazine has a lot of fun articles, like getting the best hairdos or making over your bedroom to show your personality. Having fun articles like these makes the magazine have a distinct personality that readers can recognize.

Most appealing to all ages, genders, and races: Marie Claire
Although this magazine has many expensive looks for professional women, it did have many appealing articles for both younger and older audiences that make it very relatable. Also, I found that this magazine has the most variety when it comes to having African-American, Caucasian, Asian, etc. women and men in their ads and photo shoots.

Most classic: Vogue
Vogue has been around for decades, and it consistently has a wide range of styles, profiles, beats, etc. The writers have an edgy tone of voice, and the stories are very unique to this magazine.

Personal Reflection: Before I made this blog, I had never written anything online in a journalistic style. This was my first experience blogging, and I have very much enjoyed it. Having the opportunity to share my voice with an audience has inspired me to continue on with this blog over the summer. I picked fashion as my beat, because I wanted to try looking at the magazines in an unbiased, fresh point of view. Over time I could see why this is so difficult for journalists; what a journalist decides to write about portrays their interests in a way. Through this project, I was able to dive into the fashion world and analyze the magazines’ target audiences and how the editors portray their magazines through their writing selections. This project has made me look at magazines very differently; I see them as compilations of art: writing, photography and advertisements. There will be no more skimming, only in- depth reading. Hopefully one day you will see my name in one of these fashion magazines as a writer in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment