Friday, March 12, 2010

Extra Credit Blog # 5

Part 1:

1. Mark Holgate: Fashion journalist and editor for Vogue and Vogue Daily

Sally Singer: Fashion journalist for Vogue, "Vogue Daily"; fashion blogger of The Selby

2. Mark Holgate: He writes a lot of "favorite" pieces for Vogue. He used to write be a fashion director for New York Magazine. He is very well known.

Sally Singer: She's happy that a Democrat is in power. She lives in New York City. She went to the Mali Music Festival in January 2008.

3. Mark Holgate: How does fashion affect everyone's lives?

Sally Singer: What drives you to write about fashion?


Part 2: Speech Story 2

1. After reviewing your notes about my story, I have realized that I need to focus on the mechanics and completeness sections from the rubric. I need to make sure that the quotes that I get from my sources have depth and explanations that contribute to my stories. Next time, I will make sure to ask follow-up questions if a quote does not have enough information. Also, I need to check my spelling of the people that I cite in my stories and avoid words like "it" and "this."

2. One of my goals to improve for the speech story 2 was to use the proper point of view and formatting. Both of these goals were accomplished in this paper. Also, I wanted to have better mechanics for this paper, including proper AP Style. Although I intended on writing a near flawless paper, I still have to work on this section for my future stories.

3. You wrote "should be, for example, freshman in Media..." underneath my attribution: "journalism student Neil Vohra said." I attributed students this way for my speech story 1 and you did not write that it was wrong.

4. How do I know what a weak conclusion is? How can I improve my conclusions?

Part 3: Style

1. I attributed students like this: "journalism student Cathy Civanto said." Now I can see that the proper way would have been "freshman in Media student Cathy Civanto said." Year in school and department/major are supposed to be in an attribution for a student.

2. One would insert the correct tense with parentheses.

"When people talk, sometimes they jibber on about things, you know, [they] don't think about whether [they are] saying the sentence correctly."

3. "When people talk, sometimes they jibber on about things ...[they] don't think about whether [they are] saying the sentence correctly."

1 comment:

  1. Because I could not get a hold of the two people listed, I will be interviewing Patricia Babcock McGraw. She is a Big Ten writer for the Daily Herald.

    ReplyDelete